The SIGACCESS Award for Outstanding Contributions to Computing and Accessibility recognizes individuals who have made significant and lasting contributions to the development of computing technologies that improve the accessibility of media and services to people with disabilities. Outstanding contributions through research, practice, or advocacy are recognized. Towards this goal, contributions are considered from academia, industry, as well as other professions that focus on computer users with disabilities and the application of computing technology to improve access. The award recognizes members of the community for long-term accomplishments or those who have made a notable impact through a significant innovation.
Candidates’ contributions can include innovative ideas, influence in the community, and/or the social impact of their work.
The award includes a $1000 honorarium, an award certificate of recognition, and an invitation for the recipient to present a keynote talk at the ASSETS Conference. A public citation for the award will be placed on the SIGACCESS website.
Making a nomination
The deadline for nominations for the 2016 award is May 17th 2016. The award will be presented at ASSETS 2016.
Nominations for the award must include:
- A statement summarizing the candidate’s accomplishments, description of the significance of the work, and justification of the nomination (two pages maximum);
- Curriculum vitae of the nominee;
- Three endorsement letters supporting the nomination including the significant contributions of the candidate. Each endorsement should be no more than 300 words
- A concise statement (one sentence) of the achievement(s) for which the award is being given. This statement will appear on the award certificate and on the website.
The nomination rules are:
- The nominee can be any member of the scientific community.
- The nominator must be a SIGACCESS member.
- Self-nomination is not allowed.
- Nominations that do not result in an award can be resubmitted.
- Current members of the SIGACCESS Executive Committee as well as members of the Awards Committee are not eligible.
The 2016 Awards Selection committee is chaired by Professor Joanna McGrenere of the University of British Columbia, Canada. Please direct queries to joanna at cs dot ubc dot ca.
Prof. McGrenere is joined by Professor Clayton Lewis of the University of Colorado, USA, and Dr Alistair Edwards, of the University of York, UK.
The SIGACCESS Awards Selection Committee members are appointed by the current SIGACCESS officers and serve staggered three year terms. The committee chair adjudicates conflicts of interest, appointing substitutes to the committee as necessary.