Description This award is to be presented every other year (in odd-numbered years) to the authors of an ASSETS conference paper that has had a significant impact on computing and information technology that addresses the needs of persons with disabilities. Technical papers presented 10 or more years prior to the award year are eligible. The award will recognize work that presents a significant innovation or contribution to knowledge that has proved influential.
The selection committee will focus on a paper’s impact as judged by influence in the research community, a community of practice, industry, and/or social impact resulting from the work. The award includes a $500 prize and a plaque of recognition for the paper’s authors. A public citation for the award will be placed on the SIGACCESS website. The registration fee for one author of the selected paper will be waived if the author is able to attend the ASSETS conference to receive the award.
Selection Committee The SIGACCESS Awards Selection Committee shall consist of three members, one of whom will be appointed as the selection committee chair. Members will be appointed by the current SIGACCESS officers. One member will be appointed in July of each year. Members of the committee will serve three year terms, but the durations may be adjusted when appointments are made in order to ensure that the terms remain staggered (e.g., when the committee is first formed). If a member of the committee resigns, a replacement will be appointed consistent with the requirements listed above. The committee chair shall adjudicate conflicts of interest, appointing substitutes to the committee as necessary.
Funding The award will be funded by SIGACCESS.
Application: Nominations will be solicited during the Spring of odd numbered years, with decisions made in time to allow the above recognition and award presentation at ASSETS that Fall.
Nominations for the award must include: a statement summarizing the paper’s impact description of the significance of the work, and justification of the nomination (two pages maximum); Three endorsements supporting the nomination, and describing the significant contributions of the paper. Each endorsement should be no more than 300 words.
The nomination rules are:
- The nominated paper can be any full technical paper appearing in the ASSETS proceedings 10+ years prior to the award year.
- The nominator must be a SIGACCESS member.
- The nominator and the endorsers must not be authors of the nominated paper.
- Nominations that do not result in an award will be reconsidered for one further award cycle, with the option of updating the original nomination to reflect additional impact. Subsequently, a new nomination must be provided.
- Papers with authors who are current members of the SIGACCESS Executive Committee or members of the Awards Committee are not eligible.